Heels And Panthers Tangle Thursday Night On ESPN
North Carolina (5-4, 3-3) at #25/21 Pittsburgh (7-2, 4-1)
Pittsburgh, Pa. • Thursday, Nov. 11, 2021 • 7:30 p.m. ET
Heinz Field (68,400) • ESPN
Series vs. Pitt: UNC leads 10-4
Series Streak: Pitt won last game
Last Meeting at Pitt: 2019 (L, 27-34)
Last UNC Win: 2018 (W, 38-35)
Record: 5-4 (3-3 ACC)
Head Coach: Mack Brown (Florida State, ’74)
Overall Record: 264-136-1, 33rd year
Record at UNC: 89-60-1, 13th year
Record: 7-2 (4-1 ACC)
Head Coach: Pat Narduzzi (Rhode Island, ’90)
Overall Record: 49-36, 7th year
Record at Pitt: same
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
ESPN: Matt Barrie, play-by-play; Roddy Jones, analyst; Katie George, sideline
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones Angell, play-by-play; Brian Simmons, analyst; Lee Pace, sideline
Satellite Radio: Sirius (84), XM (84)
Website: A live radio broadcast of the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on UNC’s official athletic website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
TAR HEELS AND PANTHERS
• Carolina faces Pitt on the road for the fourth-consecutive time on a Thursday night before a nationally-televised audience on ESPN. UNC won previous meetings in 2015 and ’17, while the Panthers won in 2019.
• Carolina leads the series with Pitt, 10-4, and had won six in a row against the Panthers until the 34-27 setback in 2019.
• Since Pitt joined the ACC in 2013, all seven games between these Coastal Division rivals have been decided by seven points or less.
• Both teams have scored exactly 136 points in the last four games (2016-19)
• 12 of the 14 all-time meetings have been decided by 10 points or less.
• UNC and Pitt did not play in 2020 after the schedule was revamped due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
THURSDAY NIGHT HISTORY
• Carolina’s game at Pitt is the 20th Thursday night ESPN football game in school history. All but two have been on the road. The Tar Heels are 9-10 in the previous 19 games.
THREE-STRAIGHT RANKED OPPONENTS
The Tar Heels are in the midst of playing three consecutive games against top-25 ranked opponents. Carolina will see No. 11 Notre Dame, No. 10 Wake Forest and now 25th ranked Pitt in a span of 12 days. UNC last played three-straight ranked opponents back in 2016 against No. 12 Florida State, No. 25 Virginia Tech and No. 16 Miami.
BROWN VS. PITT
• Mack Brown is 0-1 all-time against Pittsburgh, the 34-27 loss in 2019.
• Sam Howell is the UNC program record holder in total offense, passing yards, passing touchdowns and total touchdowns accounted for.
• Sam Howell took over as Carolina’s career total offense leader last time out against Wake Forest. He is the second-fastest player in ACC history to reach 10,000 yards of offense. Howell’s 33 games are tied with Clemson’s Deshaun Watson, trailing only Louisville’s Lamar Jackson at 31 games.
• Carolina hosts Wofford on Senior Day next Saturday, Nov. 20 at noon on RSN.